A meeting of the Executive Committee of Pakistan Bar Council, was held today at 12:30 p.m., in Council’s Office, Islamabad, with Mr. Muhammad Faheem Wali, in the Chair. The attendance of the meeting was as under:-
(1) Mr. Muhammad Faheem Wali . . . . . . Chairman
(2) Mr. Khush Dil Khan . . . . . . Special Invitee Vice-Chairman, Pakistan Bar Council.
(3) Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon . . . . . . Member
(4) Mr. Hassan Raza Pasha . . . . . . Member
(5) Mr. Shahdat Awan . . . . . . Member
(6) Mr. Riazat Ali Sahar . . . . . . Member
(7) Mr. Azam Nazeer Tarar . . . . . . Special Invitee
2. Apart from transacting other business of its Agenda, the Executive Committee, also strongly condemned the issuance of the Election (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021, by passing the following
“The Executive Committee of the Pakistan Bar Council, strongly condemns the mode and manner in which an unconstitutional Ordinance has been issued by the Government, apparently, in its endeavour to control and manipulate the forthcoming Senate Elections, in disregard to all legal principles and ethics. Such an act is blatant violation of the Constitutional norms, morality and democratic values which is also in conflict with provisions of the Constitution particularly its Article 226.
The Committee expresses that under provisions of the Constitution, it is mandatory to hold election of the Senate through secret ballot but the issuance of the unconstitutional Ordinance by passing the Parliament and more particularly when the Presidential Reference, earlier filed by the Government, is pending adjudication before the Hon’ble Supreme Court, is glaring violation of the Constitution, rather it amounts to mutilate and abrogate the Constitution.
The Executive Committee being dismayed with the absolute malafide and unconstitutional move of the Government, in issuing the Ordinance about open ballot in forthcoming election of the Senate, which not only amounts to influence the Hon’ble Supreme Court in adjudicating upon the Presidential Reference, but also to undermine the independence of the Judiciary, has decided, in anticipation of approval of the Pakistan Bar Council, to authorize Mr. Khush Dil Khan, Vice-Chairman, Pakistan Bar Council, to immediately file a Constitutional Petition in the Hon’ble Supreme Court, under Article 184 of the Constitution, to challenge the issuance of Election (Amendment) Ordinance,2021.”
Date: 08-02-2021 (Muhammad Arshed)