January 21, 2017
P R E S S R E L E A S E
The 219th meeting of the Pakistan Bar Council was held today at 11-00 a.m. in Council’s Office, Supreme Court Building, Islamabad. The attendance of the meeting was as under:-
(1) Mr. Aushtar Ausaf Ali, . . . . . . Chairman
Attorney-General for Pakistan
(2) Dr. Muhammad Farogh Naseem . . . . . . Vice-Chairman
(3) Mr. Abdul Fayaz . . . . . . Member
(4) Mr. Kamran Murtaza . . . . . . Member
(5) Mr. Muhammad Shoaib Shaheen . . . . . . Member
(6) Mr. Abdul Sattar Khan . . . . . . Member
(7) Mr. Sher Muhammad Khan . . . . . . Member
(8) Syed Amjad Shah . . . . . . Member
(9) Mr. Azam Nazeer Tarar . . . . . . Member
(10) Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon . . . . . . Member
(11) Mr. Muhammad Maqsood Buttar . . . . . . Member
(12) Mr. Abid Saqi . . . . . . Member
(13) Ch. Tahir Nasrullah Warriach . . . . . . Member
(14) Ch. Ishtiaq Ahmad Khan . . . . . . Member
(15) Mr. Hafeez-ur-Rehman Ch. . . . . . . Member
(16) Mian Muhammad Shafiq Bhandara . . . . . . Member
(17) Syed Qalib-i-Hassan . . . . . . Member
(18) Mr. Mohammad Raheel Kamran Sheikh . . . . . . Member
(19) Malik Ghulam Mustafa Kandwal . . . . . . Member
(20) Mr. Muhammad Yousaf Laghari . . . . . . Member
(21) Mr. Rasheed A. Razvi . . . . . . Member
(22) Mr. Ghulam Shabbir Shar Balouch . . . . . . Member
(23) Mr. Muhammad Aqil . . . . . . Member
(24) Mr. Akhtar Hussain . . . . . Member
The Pakistan Bar Council apart from transacting other business on its Agenda, also held election of its Vice-Chairman and took decision on some other matters as detailed herein below:-
(1) Election of Vice-Chairman, Pakistan Bar Council:
There were two candidates for election of Vice-Chairman of the Pakistan Bar Council for the year-2017, namely Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon from
Lahore and Mr. Muhammad Shoaib Shaheen from Islamabad. After polling of votes, through secret ballot, Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon secured twelve (12) votes as against Mr. Muhammad Shoaib Shaheen who obtained ten (10) votes.
(ii) The Attorney-General who was acting as Returning Officer for Election of the Vice-Chairman, therefore, declared Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon elected as Vice-Chairman of the Pakistan Bar Council for the year-2017.
(iii) It may be stated that Mr. Muhammad Ahsan Bhoon is the former Judge of the Lahore High Court and also remained Vice-Chairman of the Punjab Bar Council and Chairman, Executive Committee of the Pakistan Bar Council.
3. Congratulation to Hon’ble Chief Justice of Pakistan.
The Members of the Council congratulated the Hon’ble Chief Justice of Pakistan on assuming the exalted office and expressed their confidence that with able leadership of Hon’ble Mr. Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, the apex Court will prove to be a vibrant Institution to dispense justice in accordance with aspirations of people which will strengthen confidence of litigants and general public in the Supreme Court. The Council being apex representative body of Lawyers, assured and offered its fullest co-operation to the Hon’ble Mr. Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, Chief Justice of Pakistan and Supreme Court.
4. Concern on inclusion of name of serving Judge of Lahore High Court in Panama Leaks.
On being pointed out by Mr. Akhtar Hussain, learned Member, the Council expressed its concern that name of Mr. Justice Farrukh Irfan, the serving Judge of the Lahore High Court, also includes in Panama and Bahama Papers
and further that Reference under Article 209 of the Constitution against him, is also pending before the Supreme Judicial Council since long. The Pakistan Bar Council, therefore, urged upon the Supreme Judicial Council to take up the said Reference and decide the same at the earliest possible.
5. Deprecation of Statement of Interior Minister.
The Council took serious note of statements of the Interior Minister against report of One Man Commission of the Supreme Court headed by Hon’ble Mr. Justice Qazi Faez Isa, Judge, Supreme Court of Pakistan, on the most unfortunate incident of Quetta took place on 08-08-2016, which not only amounts to interference in working of the Apex Court but also a deliberate attempt to undermine the independence of Judiciary. The Council, therefore, while strongly deprecating statement of the Interior Minister, demanded for his resignation from the Federal Cabinet.
6. Condemnation of Bomb Blast at Para Chinnar.
The Pakistan Bar Council strongly condemned unfortunate incident of bomb blast took place this morning at Para Chinnar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa resulting in deaths of 20 innocent citizens and serious injuries to more than 50 persons. The Pakistan Bar Council while condemning the said incident of terrorism demanded of the Government to arrest culprits immediately and award them exemplary punishment. The Government was also demanded to improve law and order situation in the Country to ensure safety and security of the people. The Council also demanded immediate payment of substantial monitory compensation to heirs of the Martyrs and those injured.
Copyright Pakistan Bar Council 2017